Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Heart of an Old Friend


Last week I was forced to make the most difficult decision of my life. My longtime 4 legged companion, Gizmo, was in failing health and I knew it was time to fulfill the promise I had made - that I would not allow him to live without dignity.

That time came when he was almost blind and nearly deaf. His days existed of eating his meals and sleeping. That was it. He did not like to play with the other dogs; he no longer enjoyed being held. I suspect that is because his old joints hurt and any movement was difficult for him.

Truthfully, I admit that I prolonged this decision much longer than I should have. I was keeping him here for me - not him.

Gizmo was a good dog. He is waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge where one day we will be together again.