Sunday, June 1, 2008

The News

APRIL 23, 2008 - The names have been changed to protect the innocent

"You have breast cancer." Very long pause...followed by another very long pause. I remember asking Dr. D if I should be falling out of my chair...and watching helplessly as Travis almost fell out of his.

OK.... I’m breathing again so tell me about it. He explained that if I had to choose a breast cancer then this was the Best Kind. First, no one in his or her right mind would choose to have any type of cancer, but I understood his meaning.

Having said that.... I want this Thing out of me. Yesterday would have been good. I am referred to a breast surgeon that Dr. D has known for 2 decades. He reassures me that Dr. P is the best breast surgeon around. Later I discover that he rides a Harley, which, for some zany reason, I find extremely comforting.

More to come...